,LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* An antiviral pill that shows promising signs of slashing COVID-19 deaths and hospitalisations is set to be available in Australia next year pending regulatory approval.
* A further 1377 local COVID cases and four deaths have been reported in Victoria as Melbourne chalks up 246 days of lockdown, the most of any city in the world.
* Victorian Construction workers can return to worksites on Tuesday, so long as they comply with strict safeguards and have had at least their first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
* NSW has recorded 623 new local cases of COVID-19 and another six people have died, as the state begins what’s expected to be its final week in lockdown.
* Two more people have died from COVID-19 in the ACT, as the territory records 28 new community cases.
* Queensland has recorded a new mystery virus case in the community as it tries to manage an outbreak in the state’s southeast while continuing to avoid a lockdown.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 28,769,273 doses administered in the national vaccination rollout up to Saturday, including 138,537 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 16,617,814 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 56,848 in the previous 24 hours).
* 15,605,119 have been issued in primary care and 1,012,695 in aged and disability facilities.
* 12,151,459 have been administered by the states and territories, including 81,689 in the previous 24 hours.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 2029 local cases on Monday: 1377 in Victoria, 623 in NSW, 1 in Queensland and 28 in the ACT.
* Queensland recorded two cases in hotel quarantine.
* The national death toll is 1346: Victoria 873, NSW 434, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, ACT 8, and SA 4. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 234,897,787
* Deaths: at least 4,801,353
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 6,298,239,574
Data current as at 1600 AEST on October 4, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Australian Associated Press